Hi! I'm Erica Thomas!
I work with mothers and daughters who want a good relationship with one other, but are finding it difficult to get along. I love this work for several reasons:
1) I get to empower mothers to become the inspiring, healthy example of what it is to be woman--a POWERFUL effect that transcends generations. Our children relate to the same gender parent as examples of how it is to be that gender. So, mothers define what it is to be a woman for their daughters, just like fathers define what it is to be man for their sons. So your role as a mother is extremely impactful for your daughter! Great women raise great women, who raise great women!
2) I get to empower mothers to be the healthy example of a mother they desire to be for their daughters. Their daughters will not growing up thinking, "I don't want to be like my mom" (I hear this a lot) and try doing everything opposite of what their mothers did when they become mothers themselves. Instead, they will grow up thinking, "I want to be like my mom" when they become mothers and they know exactly what that example looks like because you've provided a healthy blueprint for them.
3) I get to restore hope to mothers and daughters who are finding themselves at odds with each other due to past hurts and unhealthy dynamics. When they work together, they get "lightbulb moments" that change everything for them, realizing that having a healthy relationship with each other is possible.
Did you know that mothers have the power to create generations of great women??!! Mothers not only have the ability to define the way their daughters see themselves as women, but they also have the ability to define how they see themselves as problem-solvers, overcomers, achievers, friends, significant others, mothers (perhaps one day) and in many other ways they desire to achieve in their lifetimes. Mothers have the amazing privilege of leaving behind a incredible legacy of great women, and it all starts with their relationships with their daughters.
1. Tailor therapy according to the unique needs of your mother-daughter relationship.
2. Facilitate open and non-judgmental communication and meaningful connection with each other.
3. Give you both tools you can use right away to promote healthy communication and connection with each other.
4. Challenge you both to dig deep into yourselves to facilitate the growth necessary for a healthy mother-daughter relationship and personal growth. The truth is that it will be hard work, but it will be worth it!
With me, you'll get a therapist with the unique perspective of what it is to be a mother of a daughter... and, yes... a daughter who had a complicated relationship with her mother. I've been there too! With me, you'll also get a therapist who will show you both how to leave no "white elephants in the room." In order to achieve real, meaningful growth in your relationship, both of you must "go there" with each other and leave nothing unsaid in ways that are helpful to each other. There is no way around that. I will guide you both on how to skillfully do this using evidenced-based practices and practical strategies that are productive and create a positive shift in your relationship.
It's not too late to make this a healthy lifelong mother-daughter relationship! However, both of you have to come in ready to do the work, be accountable, and see the value in having a great relationship with each other. Yes, it will be hard work, but I soooo know you both can do this! I look forward to helping you both make this happen!
Copyright © 2021 Vita Nova Counseling, PLLC - All Rights Reserved.